State Senate Resolution to Pray for Florida
On May 3, 2007 the Florida Senate passed a resolution calling on the residents of our state to pray “that God would have mercy on our state” as we approach another hurricane season. Not only Florida but nearly the whole Gulf Coast region and much of the Atlantic Coast has been chastened by hurricanes the last few years. Other parts of our nation have experienced natural disasters from tornadoes, fires and floods. All of these are reminders of our smallness and dependence on power far greater than ours for protection. We may be able to name the storms, but we cannot change their direction or impact.
This is an appropriate resolution for our state legislators to pass. The text is found below. May the Lord who commands winds and waves (Job 38:11) indeed show mercy to us in the months ahead. More importantly, may He turn many hearts to Himself and remind us of our need of the Savior, our Lord Jesus Christ.
- WHEREAS, throughout our history, our Nation has turned to prayer for strength and guidance in times of challenge and uncertainty, and
- WHEREAS, past presidents, including Presidents George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and others, have called for a day of prayer at times of crisis and disaster, and
- WHEREAS, our first President wrote in 1790, “May the father of all mercies scatter light and not darkness in our paths…” as we face the challenges of our times, God’s purpose continues to guide us, and we continue to trust in the goodness of His plans, and
- WHEREAS, we have been warned by leading hurricane forecasters of the likelihood of a very active hurricane season, and
- WHEREAS, our preparations can protect against hurricanes but cannot influence the strength or frequency with which they occur, and
- WHEREAS, in addition to these preparations, the residents of this state are in need of protection,
- NOW, THEREFORE, Be It Resolved by the Senate of the State of Florida: That in recognition of the first day of Hurricane Season, June 1, 2007, the Senate calls upon the residents of this state to pray that God would have mercy on our state and protect us from harm.